Getting Started - A Guide for Beginners
Welcome aboard to TalonRO! We're glad to have you with us! We're the Kafra Agents, and together with our special friend - TalonRO's lovable mascot, TamTam - we're here to help you on your journey to get started. New to Ragnarok Online? Start here first!
Consider this lesson from the Kafra Agents as your very own TalonRO Academy lesson! We'll teach you all that you'll need to know to get started in the world of TalonRO, including some of the following helpful lessons:
- Get started with your very own account on TalonRO. You'll be able to sign up, download the game, and explore the world of Midgard in no time!
- Begin your journey in-game with our helpful Novice Tutorial. This interactive exploration puts you right into the game right away.
- Learn more about TalonRO's essential mechanics, including some important features about stats, skills, jobs, shortcuts, and more!
- Explore some of TalonRO's important offerings, such as our Reward System, Guilds, Party Play, and lots of other features!
- 1 Let's Get TalonRO Set Up For You
- 2 Let's Start in Prontera
- 3 Let's Learn TalonRO
Let's Get TalonRO Set Up For You
To get started on TalonRO, we'll want to make sure that we have our account set up in order to play! On TalonRO, you have two types of accounts:
- The first is your master account. This account keeps everything related to TalonRO in one place - including your access to the forums, Control Panel, Wiki, and much more. Don't worry if you don't know what these are - we'll explain that later!
- The second is your game account. This is what you'll use to sign into TalonRO when you're ready to play and get into the world of Midgard.
Before we get too much further, there are a couple of very important things to note!
- You're only allowed to have one master account per person. If you've accidentally created more than one master account, quickly let a Gamemaster know by filing a Support Ticket. They can help you in ways that us Kafra Agents can't - and they'll be helpful here!
- You can have up to ten (10) game accounts on your master account. Each game account holds spots for up to twelve characters.
Sign up for your master account
Signing up for your master / forum account is easy! Let's walk through the steps:
- Visit our Registration Page and click on the button marked REGISTER A FORUM ACCOUNT.
- From there, follow all of the steps and rules.
- Confirm your master account with your email address.
That's all there is to it! Once you're set with your master account and you've logged into it, we're ready for the second part of your account journey!
Sign up for your game account
Once you're signed in with your master account, you'll now have access to TalonRO's Control Panel. This remarkable one-stop location serves all of your account needs, including being able to use our databases, search shops, view rankings, file a Support Ticket, and much more! Right now though, we're only interested in the account management portion of the Control Panel - and we want to get that new account of yours set up right away!
- Visit the Registration Page again and click on the button marked CREATE A GAME ACCOUNT.
- From the Game Account Creation page, select a username for your game account, as well as a password, the gender of the characters you would like for this account to represent (male or female), and your birthdate (for account security purposes only).
- Confirm these details, and then you'll have your first game account!
That was just as easy as the first step! You can do this up to ten (10) times while signed into your master account - but don't forget that each game account can hold up to 12 characters. That's up to 120 characters at your disposal!
To play TalonRO, you'll need to download a copy of the game client. This is free and will always be free, of course! You can obtain the files you need with your choice of downloads from the Download Page :
- The Full Installer, which has everything you need all in one package. If you're completely new to TalonRO, or need a fresh copy, you'll want this file.
- The Mini Installer, which is good if you have an old copy of TalonRO or Ragnarok Sakray installed and need to just obtain TalonRO's files.
Select the file you need, download the package, then install TalonRO into a new, clean folder! After that, be sure to run the patcher to get all of the latest data:
- TalonPatch.exe - this is your main gateway into the world of TalonRO. Use this patcher every time you want to sign into TalonRO. You'll automatically get important updates along the way as well.
When in doubt, Full Installer it out! That way, you'll have everything you need. Trouble getting TalonRO to work? Try a new copy of the Full Installer! If you need other files along the way, like the BGM music files separately, you'll always be able to find them right on our Download page!
After that, you're ready to go into the world of Midgard! Have your game account credentials ready - you'll enter those in from the login screen! After that, you'll be able to make your very own first character on TalonRO, and be able to dive right in as a new Novice into our capital city of Prontera.
Let's Start in Prontera
Once you've signed in with your game account, you'll find yourself inside of a special building. This building is located in the capital city of Rune-Midgard: Prontera. The Kingdom of Rune-Midgard is but one of several governments and lands across the world, but it's the seat of Midgard and where our journey begins. You may hear this building referred to lovingly as the "Job Changer Building" - but it's where all Novices start out. After all, that's what you are - a Novice! But you won't be for long as we set about our adventure through Prontera!
Inside The Novice Building with Manuela
As you begin in the Novice Building, you'll see a notice to accept TalonRO's rules before gameplay. After this, you'll be able to speak with Manuela, who will help you on your journey through Prontera. Each time you are able to complete her requests, she'll reward you with some very valuable Bronze Coins. These will come in handy when using TalonRO's Reward System later on during your adventures!
To start, she'll want you to speak with everyone in the building, which include these series of helpful friends who you'll likely come and visit a lot while in Midgard:
- Dressing Coach: The most stylish man in Prontera will help you try on any number of available headgears, which are used to customize your character's look to your exact specifications. Try on a look - but don't forget that it'll disappear as soon as you leave!
- Job Master: He will be able to teach you the ways of any job class you'd like - as simple as speaking with him, rather than embarking on a long quest. You can, of course, perform job changes the traditional way (and you'll earn valuable rewards for these efforts), but the Job Master makes choosing your next job class a breeze!
- Anne the Stylist: Customize your hairstyle, hair color, and clothing dye in a snap with Anne's helpful abilities. You'll be fresh and ready to explore the world in style after a visit with Anne.
- Reset Girl: Skills and stats play an important part in your character's abilities, but you don't have to fear being stuck with them forever once you choose a path! She'll help you start again if needed on those areas.
Beyond The Novice Building with Gustav
Once you've managed to do all of that, Manuela will offer you some more helpful tips about the various kinds of Job Classes that are available out in the world, and the areas which those classes particularly excel.
However, Manuela will send you outside of the building to speak with her colleague, Gustav, to learn a whole number of other important areas and people you'll encounter on your journey through Midgard. This will be your first time in the main square of Prontera - and what a busy and bustling city it is! It's easy to get overwhelmed with so many new people out and about - but your mission will be to speak with Gustav and learn all that you can about the world in front of you.
These helpful areas which Gustav will send you to include the following:
- Kafra Agents: Hey, that's us! We're here to help you on your journey of course. We can save your location, help you access item storage to keep some extra items in place, and provide a wide array of other services. We are responsible for teaching you Platinum Skills as well as renting out Falcons, Carts and Peco Pecos. We're at your service across the world!
- Warp Girl: This special Kafra Agent specializes in getting you where you need to go, and fast! She'll be able to take you to any corner of the world, the entrance point to a dungeon, and much more - all with a simple request. Getting around couldn't be easier or more convenient.
- Doctor: Doctor Magreth will instantly heal your injuries, getting your HP and SP in top form for a small cost.
- Instance Girl : She will point you in the direction of one of the many challenges taking place across the world. When you're ready for them, some range from friendly party-play to competitive and challenging action! Many of these games feature fun rewards as well.
- Eden Group Warper: Join the Eden Group to access quests that give exp, gear and more!
- WoE Board: Learn more about the War of Emperium on TalonRO, including times and access to this special mode of gameplay.
- Quest Check Board: If you're in the middle of quest and you're not certain what to do next, the Quest Check Board is your guide to keep you on track!
- Rental Master: With a host of powered-up rental items which can be obtained with Bronze Coins, the Rental Master is a staple of the Reward System on TalonRO.
- Reward Guru: The cornerstone of the Reward System, the Reward Guru will grant you access to many items in exchange for Talon Coins. Be sure to read all about how this system works over in the Reward System Overview guide!
- Daily Cash Betty: This serious little lady is in charge of handing out item gathering quests to players in exchange for Talon Cash!
- Vending Officer: The TalonRO Marketplace is a special system in Prontera, Payon, and Prontera Mall that allows merchants to set up their shops quickly and conveniently. This whole wonderful feature is worth checking out - and helpful when you're looking for a specific item for sale!
- Tool, Armor, and Weapon Dealers: These individuals will always be on deck to sell you a host of beginning and helpful items for Zeny - the main currency of Midgard.
Be sure to do the whole Novice Tutorial in full! If you do, Manuela will reward you with something helpful that will give you an extra boost in the world out there. It's a big and mysterious place outside of the walls of Prontera - be sure to bring your best effort with these handy boosts. You'll also earn valuable EXP along the way - which will help you get ready to select your very first job class! That's where the real adventure begins.
Let's Learn TalonRO
While many players may be ready to adventure into the brave new world of Midgard, others may be new to the worlds of Ragnarok entirely. If this is your first time playing, or if it's been many years and you'd like a quick crash-course refresher in the game mechanics, shortcuts, and other essentials of gameplay - the Kafra Agency has you covered!
|TalonRO is a top-down MMORPG which features point-and-click game mechanics. Let's start by explaining your primary controls and commands!
These should be enough to get you going for now! However if you want to learn a little more of what you can do in the game, you can do some further reading here!
|Player stats are demonstrated in six categories each with its own unique role to help your character out on their adventure! You can locate the window for these with the ROdex (Alt + `) or simply opening the window itself with Alt + A.
|You're a novice, you've already earned the ten (10) job levels you needed. What's next? The next step for you is to take on a job class and you have a lot of options you can choose from depending on the role you want to play! The six main classes are:
While in an official server you're supposed to stick to one class all throughout your journey, here in TalonRO we've allowed you to cross-transcend letting you choose another class upon your rebirth if you so desire.
Those classes aren't up to your speed? Don't worry, you still have a few options! These are:
Enjoying your life as a Novice? Maybe you'd like to maintain that and go with:
Now that the classes have been introduced and you've decided on a job, you can do some further reading over here!
|Raising the character's Job Level lets you gain access to vital abilities that give you, the player, stronger attacks, provide support for your allies or decimate hordes of monsters with strong AoE magic. In order to access the skill window, you can find it with the ROdex (Alt + `) or opening the window itself with Alt + S. Here's an example of how it looks like:
Notice that your skills have been divided between your 1st job, 2nd job, and Etc. While the 1st and 2nd job tabs are self-explanatory, the Etc. tab contains whatever skills you may have gained from cards and equipment (like a Vitata Card or a Torch Cap) or other players (if you are a Rogue with the Plagiarism skill). Oftentimes, skills on the furthest right are Platinum Skills (skills you earn via quest or talking to the Kafra) or special skills that you can only access with a Soul Linker's spirit link skill.
|Items are obtained from killing monsters and completing quests. Each item has its own variety of uses from restoring your HP/SP, being a catalyst for a skill, to being an item you need in order to move forward in a quest and lastly, as a part of your personal set of equipment.
These are mostly self-explanatory, but you might be wondering how to add an item to the Favorites tab. It's pretty simple! You simply drag your desired item to the tab. In this tab, you have the option to lock these items so it doesn't show up when selling items to NPC. The other parts of your inventory window are the item carry limit of 100 unique items, the drop lock, and the compare item option.
|You're fresh out of the tutorial, 10 000 zeny in your pockets. That's not quite enough to buy proper gear to fend off the many dangers present in the world of Ragnarok is it? This is where game economy comes into play! |
What you're looking for isn't in the player shops? Not satisfied with the deals offered to you there? Worry not, you still have your chances to find that perfect deal in the #market chat! Just place #market in your whisper box to participate.
|As mentioned previously in the Gameplay Controls section, you'll want to set up your abilities on your hotkeys to easily access them and target it with Mouse Button 1 (left click).|
Another thing is to also keep track of your buffs especially if you're playing a Priest. Here's a sample of the buff bar you would find on the right side of your screen. A little trick to keeping everyone buffed is to use your own buff duration as a guide to when you should refresh everyone else's buffs!
There are also finer things like temporary invulnerability after being resurrected or after a teleport where monsters aren't aware of you. What you do with that information and how you find out the rest is entirely up to you! Being aware of those little things may be what helps save your party from trouble if ever!
|Party play is an important aspect of Ragnarok Online, we strongly recommend trying to form up parties and make new allies and friends on a constant basis to get the full RO experience and how it feels to cooperate with others in ridding the world of Rune Midgard of evil monsters!|
Some things to take note when it comes to parties is that there's a 20-level gap allowance in order to share exp. So that's something to consider when looking for that group to go on adventures with!
There are also a mechanic to the party window you might not know about! Like targeting a player by clicking on their name in the window. It's pretty convenient if you've lost your visual on them amidst the chaos!